If you want to cut to the chase, just watch this GIF first.
That’s how easy it is to have your user onboard through Magic Link.
One shareable URL. Zero front-end code. Merge Magic Link is the fastest way to get your users integrated through Merge.
How do I use Magic Link?
A Magic Link can be generated in one of two ways:
- Your Merge Dashboard
- Select “Send Link via URL” from your Linked Accounts page and fill in your users’ information to generate a secure Magic Link. When your user clicks their link, Merge Link will open up in a browser and guide them through authorizing the integration.
- API Call
- You have the option to create a Magic Link when you call POST /link-token. One POST request will automatically generate a URL that’s specific to your user. Refer to our API reference here for more.
Regardless of how they’re generated, all Magic Links expire after a max of 7 days, or sooner depending on the parameter you set.
When should I use Magic Link?
Magic Link is fast, frictionless, and secure. It excels when you want to:
- Have your user authorize an integration without making them re-log into your product’s interface.
- Provide a white-glove experience for your users:
- Send them a personalized invitation to authorize their integration
- Offer guidance and other support
- Prove out an MVP with Merge and get real-time data to sync from your user without making FE changes to your app to include Merge Link.
For everything else - use Embedded Link to build Merge Link into your app directly. It’s going to give you full control over when and where your user encounters Merge Link. You can find the guide to setting up Merge Link on our Onboarding Docs here.
Magic Link is brand new, and we’re excited to see how you use it. If you have any questions or suggestions, click the Intercom link below and reach out.